Jesteś tutaj

ABOUT THE LIBRARY

The Main Library of Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University in Warsaw (UKSW) is housed in a complex of university buildings surrounded by Bielański Forest Reserve at 5 Dewajtis street, near the historic, former Camedolese, hermitage and the church. The Main University Library is a central academic unit and, together with faculty and institute libraries, forms a library-information system located in two main university campuses – on Dewajtis Street and on Wójcickiego Street –  as well as in the campus of the Faculty of Family Studies in Łomianki. The libraries provide research and teaching resources to meet the needs of UKSW academic community. They cooperate with many other libraries and research institutions in the country and abroad in acquiring and sharing resources. The University Library is a founding member of the Federation of the Polish Church Libraries – FIDES.


The history of the library is closely connected to the history of the University. The Library was established together with the Academy of Catholic Theology (ATK) in 1954. The base of the book collections of ATK consisted of the special collections and the collections of the research centres of theological faculties of both Warsaw and Iagiellonian Universities.


The library has in its collections books of general knowledge focusing on the disciplines cultivated at the university. It constitutes one of the most significant book collections and provides access to most important electronic resources in church sciences. The Library develops also its own bibliographic databases in the field. Most valuable literature published in Poland and abroad is available there. The collections number 300 000 printed items of books and 150 000 of periodicals. The collections comprise BA and MA dissertations and PhD theses completed at ATK and UKSW. Of special interest are the collections of old books and printed music.


The Library has maintained an electronic catalogue since 1993 and a new Integrated Library System (KOHA) is being introduced. Access to information in the form of the e-resources with books, periodicals and other documents is also provided, in full-text formats or as bibliographical records.


The Main University Library has at its disposal 1285 m2 of usable floor area of premises where two reading rooms (the main and the current periodicals) with 70 places for readers and 24 computer units with internet access are located.
The Library aspires to meet research, training and service requirements assigned by the University and the public. The scope and quality of services is developed through the application of new IT techniques, means of social communication as well as the improvement of the staff skills. The Library promotes science and reading in order to activate the academic community.

 

 

 

Tł. dr Cezary Michnowski